OTHER GIACIERS OF PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
crevassed. It is not tidal, but is separated from the fiord by a narrow strip of outwash gravels.
Applegate, the only one who has been close to the glacier, so far as we know, indicates on his map that in 1887, when he went within less than half a mile of it, there were visible reefs in front of the terminus, which was then tidal.
Grant and Higgins, after their visit in 1908, stated that "the glacier comes within about a quarter of a mile of tide water and the western part of the front extends farther forward than the eastern two-thirds and rests on a glacial flat. The eastern part of the front
FIG. 55. POBT NULLED JUAN AND ITS GLA.CTEHS IN 1908 (ATTEB APPLBQATB, AND GRANT AND HIGGQTB).
rests on a rock ridge about 300 feet above the sea. On this ridge there is a marked bare zone, and also one on the side of the glacier. The front of the glacier was not visited, but at a distance this bare zone appears as if the ice had retreated from it in the last two or three years. Applegate's map indicates that the glacier in 1887 reached to tidewater along its whole front. The forest in front of the eastern part of the glacier shows that this could not have been the case, although the western part may have reached tide water at that time, but even this is doubtful. Our observations on this glacier were made at a distance of about a mile and a half."
Since we saw Ultramarine Glacier in 1910 from a distance of -several miles we cannot say whether it had changed any in the last two years. It was evident, however, that there had been no great change in the way of advance or retreat.